From 2010 to 2013 Comal County 4-H resurrected the Exchange Club to offer a unique opportunity to Comal County 4-H’ers. While a year was taken off due to lack of participation, the Exchange Club would like to start up and try again. Here’s a brief synopsis of what the Exchange Club has done in recent history:
For 2010-2011 we partnered with Meeker County, Minnesota and in 2012-2013 we partnered with Oxford County, Maine. The first summer of the two-year partnership the Comal County group hosts the partner county, taking them to area points of interest. From Schlitterbahn, the Alamo, and the Coast, to the Bob Bullock Museum, the King Ranch, and peach-picking in Fredericksburg, the club always has a full and fun schedule. The following summer the group travels to the partner state and is treated to their area points of interest. For example, in Minnesota, the group experienced the Mall of America, National Eagle Center, Amish culture, a dairy farm, and the Twins Stadium. In Maine, the group went lobster fishing, toured an historical lighthouse, experienced the drive going up Mt. Washington, and toured Bath Iron Works.
Who is eligible to participate in the Exchange Club, and what are the requirements?
1. 4-H’er must be in 7th through 11th grades.
2. 4-H’er must have been in 4-H for at least 2 years
3. 4-H’er must have previously completed a quality recordbook. If they have not, they may still participate if they commit to completing one the summer of 2015 and the summer of 2016. Assistance will be given to those who are new to completing a recordbook.
4. 4-H’er agrees to the 2-year commitment to complete hosting and traveling and participating fully in all fundraising efforts. 4-H’ers may not enter in the middle of an exchange.
5. 4-H’er must complete a 4-H Exchange Application and return it to the Extension office with a $100 deposit.
If you’re interested in learning more, please come to the Comal County 4-H Exchange Club informational meeting on Friday, December 5th at 6:00 p.m. in the Extension Meeting Room.